LŌKAHI WHEEL

lō.kahi
nvs. Unity, agreement, accord, unison, harmony; agreed, in unity. Manaʻo lōkahi, unanimous. hoʻo.lō.kahi To bring about unity; to make peace and unity; to be in agreement.
From wehewehe.org

Lōkahi Concept:  The word lōkahi in general means balance.  However, the Hawaiian concept of lōkahi encompasses much more.  It explains that the body (ke kino), the mind (ka mana‘o), the spirit (ka uhane) and the world (ka honua) are all interconnected and affect each other.  Without any one of these four elements, balance is impossible.   It is the essence of Hawaiian group consciousness, the belief that harmony within the group will insure the cohesiveness and survival of the group and that group members are interdependent. (From Google)





I've done exercises with the Lokahi wheel in substance abuse therapy with adolescents & it was really great. I'd recommend this tool; it is a great way to get kids (and probably adults) to open up & explore their lives, or where they may be out of balance. 

Here's another link cds.hawaii.edu

Mahalo for reading my blog. 
Aloha. :-)

3 comments:

  1. Should not be in school Curriculum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's a concept that not a lot of people know about on the mainland. As with anything, I'm sure that how it is presented makes a huge difference. I don't really have any opinion on it being in schools, as I no longer live in Hawaii. I was just trying to share something that I found helpful & valuable. I'm not sure I understand the "Bullshit" comment. Ronnie, would you care to explain? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...